Calgary’s housing market is on the rebound, turning what has been a long-time buyer’s market into the perfect market conditions for homeowners looking to sell. With more people looking to buy and benefit from the lower interest rates, as well as a low inventory of properties, homes are spending less time on the market. This means if you’re planning to sell, it’s important to take the necessary steps to make sure your home is ready.
With the assistance of a real estate professional, you can successfully market and sell your home and move onto your new dream home. A real estate professional will work with you to:
- Provide a free home evaluation: A home that is priced right means more competition and a higher final sale price. A free home evaluation will analyze other home prices in the same area as your home and give you an accurate picture of the current market and suggested price of your home.
- Develop a successful marketing plan: The real estate professional will help you make sure your home is visible to any interested buyers and looking its best for any public and private viewings.
- Stay up-to-date on the market: Use the search tool on this website here to stay updated on other homes for sale in your area.
- Let your realtor help you: The real estate professional can answer any questions you have and let you know what is happening on the market.
As trusted real estate professionals, you can trust us to help you every step of the way. Before you get ready to sell though, it’s important to consider a few important factors about the selling process to make sure this is the right time and the right decision for you.
How Properties Are Priced
Market trends play a very important role in the pricing of your property. When markets are falling, you don’t want your place to be overpriced. However, there are some instances, like if you’re located in a high price area or the market is rising, where overpricing may be to your benefit. The cost of the property (including any capital improvements made), the price you hope to sell for, the value the buyer is willing to pay and the market value – or the final agreed upon selling price – are all important indicators that also represent your property.
What Affects the Marketability of Your Property
The marketability of your property is influenced by many factors, some that are within your control and others that aren’t. For example, the physical features of your home, the current market, and competition are beyond your influence. However, the listing price and its terms, the condition of the property and your promotional strategy can all be adapted to benefit the sale.
Renovate or Sell?
Many people struggle with determining whether or not it is best to sell or renovate their existing home. The answer varies with each individual looking for more from their current property. While renovations can sometimes be more expensive and time consuming to undertake, they can also give you what you want in your home and add value. Consider this carefully and visit our pre-listing guide for more help.
What You Can Expect
From day one we start working quickly to get everything ready to put your home on the market. Once your listing is taken, we work to get photos of your property so we can start promotion. We’ll load the property MLS information to the Calgary Real Estate Board, and work with you to gather all necessary documentation and information need to expedite the sale. The for sale sign will go up on your yard and everything will move forward from there.
After everything is set-up, we’ll check in with you weekly to provide updates and feedback on the showings. We’ll also work with you to regularly review the marketing plan and price of the property to respond to any changes in the market or competition. All offers received will be presented with you and we’ll work throughout the process to promote your property in any way we can.
To learn more about our pre-listing process, check out our guide here.
For any home on the market, first impressions are the most important. However, you don’t have to undertake a major renovation project to get your home ready to be photographed for listings or seen by home buyers. Homes that are clean and well-maintained can go a long way to making a lasting impression on a buyer. To make sure your home is ready for broker viewings, open houses and buyer showings, here are some simple and cost-effective improvements you can make:
- Spruce up each room: Go through each room and take out any pieces of furniture that aren’t necessary and are taking up too much space. Decluttering furniture and other household items can give each room a more open feel.
- Clean the appliances: Give your kitchen appliances a good clean so they are gleaming – everything from the stove to the microwave and dishwasher. This also extends to other major appliances in your home like furnaces, hot water tanks and humidifiers. Change out the filter and give them a good dusting to show they have been well maintained.
- Tidy the bedrooms: If there was ever a time to make the bed, this would be it! Make sure the beds are nicely put together, and that any closest or dressers are tidy and organized. Remember, less clutter means the rooms look bigger and more appealing to buyers.
- Polish the bathrooms: Just like the kitchen, the bathroom should be gleaming. Make sure to clean out every nook and cranny, especially any spots that may be dusty or discoloured.
- Vacuum the floors: Don’t forget to make sure that all the floors are clean to! Give the carpet a good clean with the vacuum, and make sure any tile, hardwood or vinyl flooring has also been thoroughly cleaned.
- Don’t forget the outside: Depending on the time of year, you may need to clear off the sidewalks, driveway and front porch of any snow, or mow the lawns to give the outdoor space a tidy and maintained feel.
- Secure your valuables: Any important jewelry, cash, medication or other items should be securely stored out of the way of any potential home buyers.
- Clean up after your pets: Gather up any toys or accessories from your pets and put them out of the way before the showing. Make sure any spaces used by your pet have also been cleared up.
- Prepare for the showing: Right before your house is ready to be shown, take a few extra steps to make sure your home is looking its best:
- Open up the blinds and drapes and turn on necessary lights to make it feel bright and welcoming.
- Make sure all the TVs are off. However, soft music can be left on in the background.
- Enjoy a night out! It is strongly recommended that you and any family or pets do not remain in the home during the showing. Take the time to go for a walk, run some errands, or participate in a fun activity. Your trusted real estate professional can show your property to its best advantage.
When you work with us, you don’t just have our trusted real estate experience to rely on. Our team includes a strategic alliance of professionals in a variety of sectors, including legal services, mortgage services, home inspections, property appraisal, real property report and property maintenance.
Get your home ready to sell by calling us for a complimentary market evaluation today at 403-651-4400.
Photo by Ketut Subiyanto from Pexels